Saturday

People with Disabilities Blocks Entry to Republican Affair, Cops Called


People with Disabilities Blocks Entry to Republican Affair, Cops Called

 author: gk
http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2004/10/300635.shtml

 Ten protesters stood outside Republican Rossi event, one attempted to get inside, knocked the wheelchair aside, and police showed up.

 Ten protesters and 3 children gathered outside a Republican Rossi event this morning at The Academy in Vancouver. Republican Rossi for Governor was billed for 11 a.m. Protesters were called by the Democrat Party to show Chris Gregoire for Governor signs. All did, except mine which read, "THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX, THINK GREEN PARTY. NO BUll SHit 2004." Although I left the Dems during the 1st 100 days of Clinton's 2nd administration, I got the message probably because I supported D. Kucinich.

A protester read off a list of Rossi's poor record. We visited. One said she voted Green, except for President. I invited her to the Clark County Green Party meetings. After 11:15 a woman came out of the building, and as she did so, she pulled out a Gregoire sign.

I asked her what was happening in there. She said Rossi was speaking at the moment. (The slime slipped in the back/side entrance.) I wanted to see, so I went up to the door. A wheelchair amputee blocked the entrance. I asked him to move twice. Each time there was no response. Then I asked him why he wouldn't move, and he said because I was not a part of "them." I asked him twice if he was a veteran because I cannot understand why a veteran would be Republican. When he again did not answer, I said. "No speech is also freedom of speech. Peace," and walked back to the Dem protesters.

I told them the entry was blocked and the woman who had just come out said she could get in. I followed her, 10' away. When the wheelchair guy wouldn't move for her, she moved him and and the chair. In the process there was a thud and banging noise. She stood in the hallway, but Repubs came up and hollered her out, saying, "Assault."

I walked back to the dems again, and when my back was turned I heard them say a Repub had hit the woman. Then they called the police on a cell phone, and all the protesters left, except me. 2 cop cars came, and I heard them ask us to stay, but nobody paid attention. I walked up to the driveway, waiting to see if the police would leave. I saw "Mr. Democrat" drive out, alongside the retired 49th Demo Legislator. She waved to me. Then the police left, so I did too, but not without chanting to the remaining Repubs, "Bomb Iraq, bomb N. Korea, bomb Iran."

No comments: